Curlfident

Follow
Facebook Icon Twitter Icon YouTube Icon Instagram Icon

Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday:
8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Saturday, Sunday:
10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Hair Facts


Basic Hair Facts

Did you know that experts say shedding more than 100 hairs per day is perfectly normal? Hair growth occurs in cycles consisting of a growth, transitional, resting, and shedding phase. About 10% of the hairs on your head are in a resting phase and will be shed in two or three months. The remaining 90% of your hairs are growing at any given time. This is because hair grows at different rates for different people with the average being about a half-inch per month. So, don't worry too much about your hair shedding unless it seems to be excessive. But, if your hair shedding does seem extreme, it may be related to:

• Tight Hairstyles
• Diet and Nutrition
• Medications
• Stress
• Illness
• Nervous Habits
• Alopecia Areata
• Hormonal Changes

Breakage and Split Ends

Your hair is dead material, which is why you can treat it with strong chemicals, cut it with scissors, or apply heat to it without feeling a thing. Since your hair is not alive, it cannot repair itself. So damage to the hair must be trimmed away or grown out.

There is no permanent cure for split ends. Some conditioners may offer temporary relief, but the only way to permanently get rid of your split ends is to trim them away. Always cut them off, as you should never burn away your split ends.

Hair breakage is the most common cause of hair loss — tight hairstyles can break off the hair and damage the hair follicles. The most common causes of breakage are heat, harsh chemicals, tight hairstyles, and rough treatment. However, if your hair continually breaks, you will need to identify what's causing the breakage and prevent further breakage.

Ingrid Smiling